Saturday, May 31, 2008

Ogee, I'm Makin' Curtains!



I have (cheap) green bamboo shades that cover my two bedroom windows. They are perfectly sufficient for filtering out light from outside while I sleep, and I've somehow convinced myself that Boogey People can't bother me if I can't see them. The fact remains, though, that anyone standing in my back yard after dark when I've turned on the lights in the bedroom will get an eye full. Of Miss Me. According to my teenage son who was innocently chipping golf balls in the back yard and may now need therapy.

Soooooo... I thought I would add another layer of fabric over the shades. Granted, lace does not offer the same blackout qualities as the sheets of plywood suggested by my traumatized Smiley, but it's a gesture and it's more fun to knit lace than run to Lowe's for plywood. Besides, aren't golfers supposed to keep their heads down and their eyes on the ball?

I immediately remembered a lace pattern I had seen last summer in Interweave Knits. Gryphon Perkins had a pattern for the Ogee Lace Skirt. A gorgeous undulating leaves pattern that I really like a lot. I hatched a plan.

Two skeins of Peaches & Creme Naturals in "Natural" got wound out, tied off, soaked, and dyed. Two days later, I had this, dyed, dried, and all wound up:


(To be more precise, I had two of those, but the other one looks like lace now, remember?) I swatched a little, chose my needles, and cast on as if I were knitting the largest size of the skirt. (That number happened to coincide with the width I needed for each window.) Just keep repeating the top half of the chart, forgetting the tapered part. I figure I'll need to do six full repeats of the chart to achieve the length I need. I'm now into the third chart repeat and I really like how things are looking. The panels will take a while to make, but I don't mind. Smiley can chip balls in the front yard 'til then.

Here's a closeup of the lace pattern. Pretty, huh?



No comments: