Wednesday, July 25, 2007

How many miles (of yarn) per gallon (of dye)???

First things first. Here is a picture of the wool I dyed with the leftover dye from the previous day.
The Vivid Turquoise came out a pretty pastel mint blue, but the dye was not taken up consistently, so that one will be overdyed or hand painted with others blues/greens I think. The Olive came out sort of pale yellow straw-colored ( a little deeper in color that the above picture seems to reflect); I think it is acceptable as is. The Terracotta came out sherbet orange and I like it very much. The brown I have actually dyed a second time in the same brown due to the fact that it came out of the experimental dye bath the exact pinky-brown color of a baby mouse and I was freaking me out. While it was still wet from the original dye bath, I mixed up another batch of brown and left it overnight. Then I again put the dye pot outside in the direct sun and covered it with a trashbag to several hours. The dye was exhausted and the yarn was greatly improved, so now you are allowed to see it.

Not that I'm not a trusting person because, believe me, I am. It's just that darned What If gene; I can't stand to have someone tell me I CAN'T reuse dye or I CAN'T felt things in a front loading washer on the first trip through. BS. BS. BS. Can, too...

Matter of fact, I have a bag and strap in the front-loader right this very minute. I really should have taken a picture pre-fulling, but I got excited and forgot. Sorry! I will post pictures of the finished bag tomorrow.

COMING SOON: Links to all kinds of good stuff. Free patterns. Lots of good tips and techniques. Don't blink! Stay tuned! Tell your friends to subscribe!

Mostly, knit like you mean it...

1 comment:

savyjade said...

I would love the pattern for your Jodie bag. Please let me know if that is possible. Thank you.
Amanda